I installed it a couple of weeks ago but only played this weekend . Ended up "nolifing" - was pretty damn addictive .Sunk about 15 hours in it or so .
So first impressions:
- Old school space sim . Fly your fighter , blow stuff up
- Production values are high (graphics, sound ,cutscenes)
- Multiplayer part is laggy it times
- Damn its fun!
Story so far is great and missions are well made. They must run out of content at some point but so far it held well. Multiplayer part lacks many basics ,(such as proper chat ,auction system ,etc) , but its workable You can fly co-op missions(preferable way for leveling , there are open pvp sectors
Points for min-maxers (hard learned after re-rolling my 3d char:
- There is no respec so you can screw up really easily. Only solution is reroll (but you can create new lvl 6 char if you completed prologue at least once)
- Most effective spec is sink all points in ship/one weapon type,rest spending in hull. Ignore shields completely, only spend 5 points max in engines and only spend 1 point in tactics for each 10 lvls .
- Particle beams rape face.
- Lvl5 engine BP worth a fortune. I sold mine to vendor like a moron :(
- Levels mean a lot and the power curves are insane ( on my lvl 14 I can blow up ppl of lvl 8 or same lvl in suboptimal specs in 3 seconds flat)
- But it still skill based sim - smart flying can win vs superior opponents)
- Best way to lvl 8-16 is run "jump into battle" mission with 2 ppl .~1.6k xp per run
Overall great fun game. Recommend to anyone who likes space sims to play at least 15 lvls. you wont be disappointed - it is a quality space sim game FOR FREE . At least firsts 18 levels- just play it as such.
I am not sure how the Multiplayer/Cash shop part pans out long term ,as of now apparently there is really nothing to do yet at cap. But there are player stations in game already , so it might turn out pretty good (though I wouldn't hold too much hope for that yet - there needs to be a lot more clan content and economy/crafting for that to work )